Thursday 29 September 2016

Resuming Module 3 studies and online all-module induction session (19/09/16)


It has been quite a while since I last blogged so I am hoping this initial entry will serve as a catalyst to continue during the course of the study period. I am picking up after deferring during the last study period, due to a performance contract I had started and demanded too much of my time to allow for appropriate attention with the BAPP. However, I am excited to be picking it up again and with only five weeks left of my contract I am looking forward to collating this experience into my inquiry project on returning home to the UK. Two Saturday’s ago Paula held an induction session for modules one, two and three. Adesola also joined and other participants included Bethany, Laura, Lizzie, Megan and Charnelle. It was great to become reconnected with the BAPP community and have initial discussions before the study period officially commenced.

Paula began the session with us introducing ourselves and giving a bit of background as to what positions we take outside of the BAPP programme. It was intriguing to hear where everyone is approaching studies from in relevance to their professional standing. Something that I have come to appreciate during my time with the programme thus far is how individual’s backgrounds come to shape and offer views on areas discussed that may not have been raised by others as it has been provoked by an experience that is particular to that individual’s environment. It opens up a way of thinking that would not have been approached otherwise, something that has certainly affected me during studies. With this in mind, Adesola chimed in and suggested a technique that was implemented in the previous day’s induction session; this being to separately suggest methodologies that may help in our planning for the duration of the study period. This being an all-module session, we as participants are all commencing the term with varying familiarity. However, what was proposed by individuals was of great value to both newcomers getting to grips with the course content, as well as those returning to studies. Moreover, what I found interesting about points being raised was whilst returning students were able to point out and identify ‘pitfalls’ from previous module experience, newcomers were suggesting methods that may have passed the former. These are devices that second and third module students may have encountered when beginning initial studies but knowledge accumulated since has put these out of forefront focus.

As we began presenting methodologies for practice we began discussing how our current resources around us support this. As mentioned earlier, everyone on the BAPP course finds themselves in different positions. Charnelle brought up three themes that have she is finding to work effectively when carrying out studies; time-keeping, communication and focus. She added that regular and continued conversation with the BAPP community helps for stimulating ideas. She also highlighted that campus sessions have been important in grounding her studies. There was a shared notion that networking was crucial in carrying out studies. There can be a feeling of isolation during the study period but avenues of communication such as blogging, SIG’s as well as online sessions and even one-on-one chats can give some clarity to ideas. Organisation is of upmost importance when planning studies. Lack of a structure can lead to time mismanagement and certain tasks within the module could be overlooked.

Continuing this trail of thought, Laura brought up a couple of methods for remaining active and motivated in times when access to the internet isn’t always possible. Laura works in a boarding school and mentioned that she will often make use of her journal and note any valuable information that she can expand on at a later stage when she has the resources available. I have found this extremely effective, especially in my current living situation where I have no direct access to the internet. Before beginning my contract here in Ibiza I took a selection of literature I knew to be relevant to my inquiry topic to then examine at my own pace. I use my journal to note any text that I think will be of particular value in literature review. However, Lizzie added that it is important whenever possible to observe other people’s blogs for entries that may provide thought for individuals who feel like they have hit a wall with studies. She expressed that is why it is important for the BAPP community to keep up with blogging.

Bethany and Megan are both working performers. Bethany is preparing for rehearsals for ‘Half a Sixpence’ which is making its move to the West End after a successful run at the Chichester Festival Theatre. Megan is currently touring with ‘Dirty Dancing’.  They both expressed how difficult it can be to juggle studies around work. Megan touched on the subject of leadership within theatre production which I found of particular interest since my inquiry topic is looking at how separate members bring professional knowledge and expertise to projects and what discourses can come of this based on individual experience. I would like to hear more on Megan’s thoughts about the subject as I feel our ideas for inquiries are very similar.

After hearing from everyone Adesola voiced that it is vital for us to be aware of what is required of us for handing in at the end of the study period. It is important that we touch base with our tutors (Adesola or Paula) regularly to maintain that our studies remain relevant and we do not stray too far from our aims for the module. I have in the past examined work that, while useful, have included in arguments (particularly when carrying out end of module reviews for assessment) when not necessarily needed. Adesola and Paula pointed us towards the Module Handbook and Readers for a full breakdown of getting a plan together for the study period. After looking at Reader Seven, I am keen to look further at Hart’s (1998) text for compiling a literature review. Although I have found many useful texts supporting my inquiry topic I spent too long gathering these texts before deferring last study period and a plan for spending further time looking more may benefit me greatly.



1 distinguishing what has been done from what needs to be done;

2 discovering important variables relevant to the topic;

3 synthesizing and gaining a new perspective;

4 identifying relationships between ideas and practice;

5 establishing the context of the topic or problem;

6 rationalizing the significance of the problem;

7 enhancing and acquiring the subject vocabulary;

8 understanding the structure of the subject;

9 relating ideas and theory to applications;

10 identifying the main methodologies and research techniques that have been used;

11 placing the research in a historical context to show familiarity with state-of-the-art developments” (Hart, 1998, p. 27).


I am aware that this post has been uploaded nearly two weeks after the Skype session took place and I am quite wary of the amount of time I have at my disposal. In a few weeks I will be back home and will be in a much more able position for carrying out studies. However, I am keen to remain active in these early weeks with whatever time I have available to me. This first initial Skype session was great for easing my way back into studies and I look forward to developing my inquiry project during this third and final module.





Bibliography:

Hart, C. (1998) Doing a Literature Review, London: Sage Publications Ltd.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Tom! Hope the last stint of your contract is going well? Would love to hear all about it. Just wondered if you'd be game for a Skype in regards to your inquiry topic and the communication and collaboration between departments. This in relation to things like leadership, required skill set etc.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Megan! I hope all is well with yourself. I'm heading into the final four weeks of my contract now, amazing how quickly it's gone but it's been great! I hope the tour is going well. Yeah of course, that would be a great idea! I'm sure it would be beneficial for both our inquiry projects. Let me know when works best for you!

      Tom

      Delete
  2. Hey tom! I am so sorry - didn't get notified of your comment. Just popped back on your blog to send another message and voila! It'll be the last 2 weeks of your contract now right? Have the best time. I can do next week sometime? Day time works best for me if that's alright - any day except Monday and Wednesday afternoon. Let me know - look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Megan! Not a problem at all, sorry for delay myself. Yes, I have a week and a bit left to go. I'm quite busy in the remaining time I have left in Ibiza but I would love to have a chat once I'm back in the UK if you would like to do that?

      Delete
  3. Thanks Tom - there is a session coming up - and maybe time for a 1-1 - to talk about analysing data.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,

      Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I have had to work during the session today which is a shame. I will be back in the UK from Tuesday so will be a lot more available. Are there going to be slides going up on your blog about the session and could we arrange a 1-1 for mid next week, please?

      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Hi Paula,

      Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I have had to work during the session today which is a shame. I will be back in the UK from Tuesday so will be a lot more available. Are there going to be slides going up on your blog about the session and could we arrange a 1-1 for mid next week, please?

      Thanks.

      Delete